Monday 9 December 2013

Line and colour

This week, I've been helping with set design for our summer mission team. I've been on this team for the past few years and each year, we have a different 'theme' to decorate to.

This year, it's 'art gallery'/'art studio'.

For the studio part, we have oversized paintbrushes, crayons, paint palettes, paint cans, an easel...

For the art gallery itself, I've had fun designing random canvases (on cardboard, lids mostly - it's cheaper and we're on a budget) to hang up on the walls. If you want to use cardboard, just make sure you prime them with white first - otherwise you'll get holes in your painting, particularly if your cardboard is 'shiny'.


Hopefully I'll be able to show you once everything's up and done on mission, but I thought this particular one might be a fun, relatively quick activity with a class:


All it involved was basic experimentation with patterns and shape (I just started with random circles...and then began patterns around it), then acrylic to fill out the colour patterns...and finally, it was all outlined with permanent marker.

TIP: Make sure your paint is completely dry before you outline it - so you end up with a clear outline, instead of just scratch marks.

I rather enjoyed putting this one together - it was really random to begin with, but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me. I wasn't sure how it would look at first, but it's pretty ok now :)

MissT

2 comments:

  1. These are amazing! What is your mission team? Are you on holidays already? Very jealous- we start our summer break next week (thank goodness). Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bec! Our mission team is a group of people from the city who head over to the Hunter region in NSW to help run a church-based kids programs for a week in summer.

      Hope you had a splendiferous (new word! hah) summer - and ditto! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete