Saturday 21 May 2016

Learn to Listen

I have been so tired and unfortunately, am rather ill this weekend. But I think it's meant that I've had a chance to slow down and take stock a bit better (before getting onto reports and assignments...). 

This semester has been filled with assessing students. Scarily, my students are only in their second year of formal schooling. Yet, due to reporting and curriculum pushing, we've been spending quite a lot of our time working through formal assessments - not unusual for the kids in my school or any school in our area, I believe. 

But I realised something sad this week: it had been a long time since I'd heard what's been going on in the lives of my kiddies. So, over 'Crunch n Sip' time last Friday, we sat and just talked about whatever had been happening in the kids' lives. And I learnt a lot. 

I learnt that a lot of them were tired not just because of school but also because many of them were having houses renovated, so lots of moving and getting used to a new environment to sleep in was happening. 
I learnt that a few of them had very little time on their hands because their out of school time is so structured.
I learnt that several of them knew family members who had been in car accidents over the past year. 
I learnt that lots of them like running between the washing at home when mum or dad has hung it out to dry in the sunshine. 
I learnt that someone was sad because their grandfather had to go back overseas this week. 
I learnt that one of them was looking for a new place to live.

There were heaps more stories, but as I sat and listened, I was struck by the wonderful realisation that while these kids were so keen to share, they were all so keen to listen. They listened to each others' stories and giggled and asked questions and reveled in the chance to interact with one another. 

The other thing was that I realised how all of these out-of-school factors were impacting on my kids' learning in class. Why so many were tired. Why so many had been clingy or less responsive in various weeks previously.

A lot of them crave the chance to be heard - to just chat and interact with people face-to-face. In a society where we're apparently becoming more disconnected and isolated because of internet connection (ironic, I know), it's refreshing to remember that it's not always like this - and it shouldn't be. 

Our school operates at break-neck speed - drop the ball, and as a teacher, you're spending weekends and holidays trying to play catch-up. It can be a great thing, there are so many opportunities for the staff, students and the community to take advantage of and be involved in.

But.

I have to constantly remind myself to re-center myself and remember what, why and who I am teaching. We're not just a factory of mark-generating robots. We teach people, and I teach to make a difference in the world. To make a difference, I need to know my kids. 

That is, I have to learn to slow down, not get caught up, and learn to listen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment